Technical Workshop on Adolescent and Youth Sexual and Reproductive Health: Exploring Progress and Planning Future Evidence-Based Investments in DRC
Pathfinder International and E2A , with DRC’s National Program for Reproductive Health, organized an adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive health (AYSRH) workshop, in Kinshasa, August 22-23, 2017. During the workshop, representatives of government, civil society, and nongovernmental organizations, along with youth leaders and advocates, sought to examine how to enhance investments and actions to introduce and/or scale up evidence-based practices in AYSRH. These evidence-based practices seek to increase demand for AYSRH services, assess the quality of AYSRH services, and brainstorm strategies to engage communities, especially young people.
The workshop (and pre-meeting workshop held on August 21, 2017) adopted a similar methodology used by Pathfinder, E2A, and the Ouagadougou Partnership Coordination Unit, at an AYSRH technical workshop and pre-meeting workshop in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, in May 2017.
The workshop’s specific objectives included:
- Identify, share, and examine evidence-based practices for improving access to and the quality of contraceptive services to increase the use of contraceptive methods among adolescents and youth;
- Identify opportunities to strengthen the development and operationalization of a costed national strategic plan for adolescent and youth health and well-being;
- Identify opportunities to strengthen national and provincial annual AYSRH operational plans with a special focus on the evidence-based practices highlighted as priorities in four provinces: Kinshasa, Lomami, Lualaba and Kasai Central;
- Enable young people to participate in identifying opportunities for applying evidence-based practices in national and provincial plans, as well as mechanisms for youth engagement in the implementation of these plans.
- Publication date: January 2018